Sunday, October 25, 2009

Great News - Aussie Spammers Fined $15m

And now to some good news.  As reported in the Courier Mail, ACMA has finally come up with a win against two Australian companies perpetrating SMS Spam.

Mobilegate Ltd and Winning Bid Pty Ltd were found to have contravened the Spam Act and the Trade Practices Act 1974 in August 2009.

Three individuals - Simon Anthony Owen, Tarek Andreas Salcedo and Glenn Christopher Maughan - were found responsible for the breaches.
I can't say that I'm not happy, but I can say that ACMA needs to be more vigilant in chasing down and prosecuting Spammers (both SMS and email) as I've had some interesting conversations with their Spam reporting team that make me wonder if they understand what Spam actually is or that they are the Body tasked with prosecuting Australian Spammers.

Regards,

The Outspoken Wookie

No comments: