Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Beta Testing Office 2010

Well, sad to say, but I have finally gone back to Office 2007 because the Outlook 2010 beta was SO FUCKING UNSTABLE it felt like I was beta testing F^HVista all over again.

COME ON GUYS - I sent probably 50 reports of Outlook 2010 crashing and didn't get a single response.  And I KNOW I'm not the only one seeing this instability.

The rest of the product is nice.  Some of the new features in Outlook 2010 are definitely nice, however having it crash on me all the time was simply unbearable and resulted in a great amount of lost productivity and increased frustration - neither of which are efficient.

So, when Microsoft gets their act together and can release a Beta product that's not at Alpha levels of stability, I'll try it again.  But in the meantime, I'm quite happy with Office 2007.

Speaking of Office 2010, have a read of the First Look: Microsoft Office 2010 eBook if you want to know more about what Office 2010 will have to offer (once they get Outlook 2010 stable).

Regards,

The Outspoken Wookie

3 comments:

Jeremy Phillips said...

I've been running Office 2010 since the tech preview and have had Outlook crash a grand total of twice, on the 4 machines I have it installed on. Is it possible it's something with your particular environment?

Hilton Travis said...

G'day Jeremy,

Fresh install of Win XP Pro/Ult x86/x64 on an Intel Core i7 920 with 6 GB RAM for one machine (x64) and on my M200 tablet for the other. Install, crash. Loads of other people have seen Outlook 2010 instability as well, so it isn't just me. And I've beta tested MS Office since Office 95 - this is the most unstable beta version of Outlook I've ever seen! :(

Hilton Travis said...

... and I meant Win 7, not Win XP - oops!